You matter to God

You matter to God

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Seven Day Christmas Meditations, Second Day - "Good News"

Part of my 10-year old boy's routine in the morning is reading his Bible.  He is in the book of Genesis this time.  But this morning he told me he wanted to read the Christmas story first before Genesis and I said ok.  So he read Luke 2 and part of it was this:

Luke 2:8-11

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 


Then, he turned the page bookmarked at Genesis and this was part of what he read:

Genesis 18:1, 10

The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.

10 Then one of them said, “I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son.”


My heart was just so overflowing with joy as I listen to him read and the Holy Spirit revealing the message in His Word.  I was awestruck by how God showed such amazing similarities and contrasts in these two stories. 

In both stories, there was  a supernatural appearance and good news.  For the shepherds, it was the good news that the Savior was born.  In the story of Abraham, the Lord told him that he will have a son.  In both cases, the shepherds and Abraham have their longings before they were given their good news.  The shepherds long for the Savior, the Messiah promised to them by God as prophesied in the past.  For Abraham, he was longing to have a son.  And both were answered by God.  These tell me that my dreams and longings matter to God.  He cares.  He hears.  And just like how He took time to give the good news to the marginalized shepherds, neglected and unimportant to society, I know I matter to God.  And everybody else.  My dreams and my heart's longings matter to Him.

The contrast in the stories is the timing.  For the shepherds, their good news was at that very moment...today.  In the case of Abraham, he had to wait for one year to receive his good news.  This tells me that there are times "today" is the day of God's answer.  But there are situations that there is a waiting time.  But God is faithful to fulfill His promise.

Wow, it is such a wonderful moment to receive such assurance of great love from God.  God is so amazing!!! To Him be all glory and honor and praises!!!



Reflections:

What is my deepest longing this Christmas?  


No comments:

Post a Comment